ECNL Alums Claim 118 Conference Honors Across the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12, and Big 12
RICHMOND, Va. (December 2, 2014) – In unprecedented fashion, alums from the Elite Clubs National League dominated the 2014 individual awards in the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12, and Big 12, also known as the “Power 5” conferences. The 2014 freshman class of ECNL Alums swept the awards for Freshman of the Year and accounted for 38 of the 55 total 2014 All-Freshman or All-Newcomer spots in the Power 5. In total, ECNL Alums claimed 11 different Player of the Year awards and 118 All-Conference honors across the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12, and Big 12.
After only five years of ECNL soccer, the number of ECNL Alums playing at college soccer’s highest levels is staggering. In total, the Power 5 feature more than 960 players that played in the ECNL as youth players:
- Pac-12 – 208 ECNL Alums
- Big Ten – 205 ECNL Alums
- Big 12 – 149 ECNL Alums
- ACC – 207 ECNL Alums
- SEC – 194 ECNL Alums
Not only is the ECNL the broadest path to the top programs and conferences in the country, the best of the best in these conferences are also ECNL Alums. The transformative impact of the ECNL has never been more apparent than the list of award winners in the Pac-12, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, and SEC:
- 2014 Pac-12 Player of the Year (Sam Mewis, Boston Breakers)
- 2014 Pac-12 Freshman of the Year (Andi Sullivan, Bethesda SC)
- 2014 Pac-12 Goalkeeper of the Year (Katelyn Rowland, San Juan)
- 8 of 11 players in the 2014 Pac-12 All-Conference First Team
- 12 of 20 players in the 2014 Pac-12 All-Conference Second Team and Honorable Mention
- 9 of 11 in the 2014 Pac-12 All-Freshman Team
- 2014 Big Ten Freshman of the Year (Emily Ogle, Internationals)
- 7 of 22 in the 2014 Big Ten All-Conference First and Second Teams
- 7 of 11 in the 2014 Big Ten All-Freshman Team
- 2014 Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year (Janine Beckie, Real Colorado)
- 2014 Big 12 Newcomer of the Year (Michaela Abam, Texas Rush)
- 10 of 22 in the 2014 Big 12 All-Conference First and Second Teams
- 7 of 11 in the 2014 Big 12 All-Newcomer Team
- 2014 ACC Freshman of the Year (Megan Buckingham, Michigan Hawks)
- 2014 ACC Midfielder of the Year (Danielle Colaprico, PDA)
- 7 of 11 in the 2014 ACC All-Conference First Team
- 16 of 22 in the 2014 ACC All-Conference Second and Third Teams
- 8 of 11 in the 2014 ACC All-Freshman Team
- 2014 SEC Offensive Player of the Year (Shea Groom, Sporting Blue Valley)
- 2014 SEC Defensive Player of the Year (Arin Gilliland, Ohio Elite)
- 2014 SEC Freshman of the Year (Savannah McCaskill, Carolina Elite SA)
- 10 of 14 in the 2014 SEC All-Conference First Team
- 10 of 14 in the 2014 SEC All-Conference Second Team
- 7 of 11 in the 2014 SEC All-Freshman Team
Across college soccer, the “ECNL player” has become the epitome of the next generation collegiate soccer player. Congratulations to these players for continuing their journey of success in college, and representing what it means to be an ECNL Alum.
To learn more about the ECNL College Impact, visit www.amazingyoungwomen.com/p/the-impact.
About Amazing Young WomenTM: The Amazing Young Women campaign is a dynamic platform of online and local market activations that showcase and celebrate female role models offering an aspirational focus for all female athletes and teens as they prepare to be our next generation of leaders. Throughout the 2014-2015 season, the ECNL will showcase what it means to have #BeautifulAmbition as exemplified by former and current ECNL players, and will call on all of the nation’s women to join the movement to celebrate the endless potential of today’s girls.
About Elite Clubs National League: The Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) was founded in 2009 to enhance the developmental experience of female youth soccer players in the United States through: (i) Improving the competitive environment through creation of a true national competitive league; (ii) Improving the process for identifying elite female soccer players for the U.S. Soccer youth national teams through a systematic scouting and identification program based on national competitions; and (iii) improving the daily training environment at top female youth soccer clubs through developing best practices and training and organizational guidelines for its member clubs. The ECNL is sanctioned by US Club Soccer and is sponsored by Nike Soccer.
eliteclubsnationalleague.com | Facebook: /theECNL | Twitter: @theECNL
For media enquiries: